Every rental property on the market owned by either a housing association, council or a private landlord must meet certain standards to ensure that they are safe and suitable for tenants to live in. If you are a tenant living in a rented property your landlord is under an obligation by law to ensure that the property is safe and free from hazards. If there are issues with the property, then your landlord must rectify these issues without delay.

If you would like to discuss any of our services with us, feel free to contact us using the form below or give us a call at 0161 669 4621 for a free no obligation chat. We look forward to assisting you with your legal concerns.



If you would like any further information or need advice about any dispute, please get in touch with us today. You can contact us today on 0161 669 4621 or by email on for a free no obligation chat.

At Birch Law our solicitors can help you make a housing disrepair claim. If you are living in poor housing conditions and your property falls below a reasonable living standard, you may be eligible to bring a claim against your landlord. We are here to make sure the process of bringing a claim is as straightforward and stress free as possible. We can guide you through the entire process and provide assistance every step of the way on a no win no fee basis.

If you would like to discuss your claim with our expert solicitors, please contact us on 0161 669 4621 or by email at

A landlord’s obligations are set out in several pieces of legislation including, the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985. In accordance with Section 11 of the LTA a landlord must:

  • Keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling, including drains, gutters, and external pipes.
  • Keep in repair and proper working order the installation in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity, and sanitation (including basis, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences).
  • Keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for space heating and heating water.

Common examples include:

  • Flooding and water leaks. Flooding and water leaks can expose you to health and safety risks. Water damage is a serious issue in any property and must be addressed quickly to prevent it from entering your property and damaging your belongings or even causing damp.
  • Structural defect to the property. Structural issues can be a ticking time bomb as they often represent the root cause of other problems in a property, many of which can result in disrepair claims. For instance, broken stairs and rails, broken ceilings or roof, cracked walls, rotten window or door frames, severely cracked wall plaster and loose tiles etc.
  • Damp or mould issues. Many housing disrepair cases are due to failure on the part of the landlord to deal with damp and mould. Damp and mould can expose tenants to serious health issues and make the environment unsafe to live in.
  • Boilers and electrics. Many landlords fail when it comes to ensuring that the heating system in the home is in optimum condition. Faulty electrics are hazardous to live with and should be repaired to avoid fire disaster.
  • Problems with the roof, windows, gutters and drains. The windows, roof, drains, and gutters are crucial to your health and safety in a rented home. It is the responsibility of your landlord to maintain these parts.

If your landlord ignores your requests or delays any repairs, then you may be able to bring a claim against them to force them to carry out the necessary repairs. You may also be able to claim compensation for the inconvenience caused, damage to your health, damage to personal belongings and any financial losses caused by the disrepair. The exact amount of compensation depends on the severity of the disrepair and how it affects you as an individual.

You can receive compensation for:

  • Damage to belongings. This would include for instance damage to clothing and bedding, carpets, and electrical appliances.
  • Personal injury. This would include monetary compensation for ill health caused because of the disrepair. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on a number of factors including the severity of your illness and how long it lasted.
  • Inconvenience. This would either be a cash sum or a partial rebate on your rent to compensate you for the inconvenience caused by the disrepair.

We operate on a no win no fee basis. This means that if we lose your case, you won’t pay us a penny. If we are successful, our costs are deducted from any money we recover for you. The amount we will deduct will never exceed 25% plus VAT of your total compensation. Please note that there will also be disbursements such as court fees and barrister’s fees. All disbursements will be approved in advance.

Whichever funding route you choose, you can rest assure that our experienced solicitors will always do their utmost to keep costs as low as possible. If you would like to discuss any of our services with us, feel free to contact us using the form below or give us a call at 0161 669 4621 for a free no obligation chat.




Please complete our online enquiry form or contact us at for your free 30 minute consultation. You will be able to choose a time and date that works for you.



Meet with one of our advisors on MS Teams, Zoom, by telephone or in person. They will find out about your legal needs and discuss how best we can help you. We will set out your options and provide transparent costs information so you can make an informed decision as to how you want to proceed.



Once we have agreed on the correct course of action for you, we will then implement and execute your instructions.